[Vision2020] Say What?

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 24 07:03:08 PDT 2011

Counting consensus is a political game.  Science is not a democracy.
The earths climate is a complicated and chaotic system.  Eventually,
we'll have a pretty good (as in useful) understanding of it as a big
picture.  Right now, we're in a period of rapid progression but we are a
long way from having a handle on it.  Just my opinion.

This desire to say we've got it pretty much pinned down is purely
political, and political influence and interference will only slow down
the process of learning.  Polling scientists doesn't help the science.
And political hacks like Perry using skeptics to make political points
is just as bad.  Just step back and let the science happen.

In the meantime, there are plenty of reasons to get rid of our oil
addiction and plenty of solutions that don't involve sketchy carbon
credit schemes and other scams-in-the-making.  Why don't we all meet in
the middle and work it from that angle?  If it were me, I'd put more
money into nuclear technology research (thorium reactors, safer reactor
designs, etc), smart grid technology, and large-scale battery technology
to even out the spikes in the supply from other alternative energy
solutions.

Paul