[Vision2020] Oil Sands and Megaloads

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Aug 22 06:18:28 PDT 2011

Courtesy of the "Letters to the Editor" section of today's (August 22, 2011) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Vince Murray and Sonja Lewis.

More than tree trimming

When I first read Devin Rokyta's "Our View" editorial (Opinion, Aug. 16) about the Kearl Oil Sands project in Alberta, I thought he was being satirical, and I almost started laughing. But after reading it several times, my jaw began to drop. Writing to express the opinion of the Daily News editorial board, Rokyta states that the oil sands project cannot be stopped, but that will be true only if we do nothing to stop it - if we merely say, as Rokyta does, that it's going to happen, so let's make some money off it.

Yes, Rokyta, mining the oil sands does bring with it severe environmental consequences, and first among them, according to the Alberta Cancer Board, is the 30 percent increase in cancer rates already documented among the First Nation Albertans of Fort Chipewyan. But this project will also destroy boreal forests from a tract of land the size of the state of Florida, forests that currently absorb carbon dioxide and slow global warming, and wipe out the numerous animal species that inhabit these forests.

Pipelines from this project, especially the one to Kitimat, British Columbia, will ultimately destroy much more. It seems to me that looking for economic benefits in a bankrupt endeavor is the height of folly and something that should never overshadow the ethical concerns.

Vince Murray, Moscow

--------------------

Rethink megaload issue

Devin Rokyta (Our View, Opinion, Aug. 16) needs to rethink the megaload issue.

As a 20-year resident of Moscow and 10-year homeowner, I have witnessed how reluctant large self-contained RVs are to freely roam around town to shop and utilize our dining and lodging. Vehicle size is not without consequence!

Imperial Oil/Exxon Mobil's drivers and support crew may not be eager to find adequate parking and cruise our facilities, either.

Furthermore, why count on the corporation's hiring locally (in order to cut the transport units down to size)? Businesses often prefer to hire from their own employee pool.

Moscow's city utility and street engineer state that the megaloads will cause no significant wear and tear - but on what grounds did they base their opinions? With each unit weighing more than 200 tons, wouldn't it be more prudent for a sizeable and adequate damage deposit be required up front?

But at least, Idahoans have kept the loads out of our irreplaceable Lochsa River corridor - so far. Let's support the legal battle to ensure this.

Sonja Lewis, Moscow

Seeya At the rally Thursday night, Moscow.

"The Pessimist complains about the wind, the Optimist expects it to change and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown