[Vision2020] Oil Sands and Megaloads

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 10:12:05 PDT 2011

Controlling Canada's decisions regarding tar sands development
presents unique problems, but the US side of the equation can more
directly be addressed by US citizens.  Not mentioned in this letter to
the editor, the proposed Keystone XL pipeline to carry tar sands
product from Canada through the US, is now (Aug. 20 through Sept. 3,
2011) a major focus of action in the US, to lessen or stop tar sands
development, with arrests at the Whitehouse during protests regarding
this pipeline project:
http://www.tarsandsaction.org/fifty-more-americans-arrested-at-white-house-on-day-2-of-sit-in-over-oil-pipeline/

The destruction of forests due to tar sands development, and how this
impacts global warming, is very important, of course, as are the
impacts of toxic pollution, but the process of tar sands development
releases significant amounts of CO2 in its use of natural gas (or oil
or gasoline), before the burning of the refined fuels eventually
releases more CO2.  Tar sands thus have a larger global greenhouse gas
impact than some other oil resources, inherant to the process of
development, even if other negative environmental impacts, the toxic
releases or local environmental degradation, were limited.  Some
contend the increased CO2 emissions from tar sands development can be
reduced with improved technologies:
http://www.computare.org/Support%20documents/Publications/Nuclear%20oil%20sand.htm

However, reductions in CO2 emissions across the board are required to
address climate change, even if tar sands impacts can be lessened.
CO2 emissions from tar sands development are arguably less of a
environmental threat to global climate than US coal fired plants.  The
scale of the reduction in CO2 emissions required to avoid severe
impacts of climate change are daunting, as the following publication
from the Earth Policy Institute indicates, advocating 80 percent
reductions by 2020:
http://www.earth-policy.org/datacenter/pdf/80by2020notes.pdf

An informative article on the tar sands development from Yale's
Environment360 is at website below, with a short excerpt:

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/as_albertas_tar_sands_boom_foes_target_projects_lifelines/2422/

Oil companies have limited refining capacity for the dense crude in
Alberta, and that’s where the biggest pipeline project, Keystone XL,
figures in. Each day the proposed Keystone XL pipeline — to be built
by Calgary-based TransCanada Corporation — would move 910,000 barrels
of a slurry of bitumen, natural gas, and undisclosed chemicals through
a 36-inch-diameter, high-pressure pipe, buried four feet underground.
The nearly 1,700-mile route would run from Hardisty, Alberta, through
Saskatchewan, Montana, South Dakota, Nebraska (including 92 miles of
the Sand Hills), and Oklahoma. After connecting with an existing
pipeline in Nebraska, the new Keystone XL would begin again in
Cushing, Oklahoma and continue on to Houston and Port Arthur, Texas.
There, company officials say, they would have the special refining
capacity they need.

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett