[Vision2020] Liquid-Metal Fast-Breeder Reactor: Twice as Much Energy in World Uranium Reserves (!) as in Fossil Fuel Reserves

Ron Force rforce2003 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 16 08:34:24 PDT 2010

Thanks, Ted,
The problem is, as I understand it, is that the near-term issue is not the
availability or cost of nuclear fuel; it's the capital costs of construction,
which are 1/3 higher for LMFBRs vs. PWRs. They've also had a checkered history,
with many operational and maintenance problems, sodium fires & leaks, etc.
The US program was canceled in the 80's because of cost over runs and pressure
from the nuclear nonproliferation community. It was felt that the controls at
that time weren't adequate to prevent possible diversions from the amount of
bomb-grade plutonium that would be produced in large-scale reactor operation.
That was under the Regan administration. President Regan, despite his "warrior"
image was quite concerned with the issues of nuclear weapons and their
proliferation.

Ron Force
Moscow ID USA