[Vision2020] Liquid-Metal Fast-Breeder Reactor: Twice as Much Energy in World Uranium Reserves (!) as in Fossil Fuel Reserves

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 19:44:21 PDT 2010

> To "Off list" respondent:

 You may very well be correct.  Perhaps the ALMR (Advanced Liquid Metal
> Reactor) that is discussed in the following 2005 article from Scientific
> American is not as promising as it appears the authors indicate:
>
> http://www.nationalcenter.org/NuclearFastReactorsSA1205.pdf
>
> The advantages, unless I misunderstand, are that much much more energy can
> be derived given uranium resources, and nuclear waste can be reduced given
> it can be used as fuel.  Existing PWR reactor designs, if I have my facts
> straight, cannot supply enough energy from uranium over many decades, to
> largely replace fossil fuels, given the low efficencies of how PWRs use
> fuel.
>
> Thorium is another option for powering nuclear reactors, more abundant than
> uranium; but with fast breeder reactors using uranium thorium is not as
> necessary, given uranium could supply a lot of energy for many decades.
> Info on thorium as a nuclear fuel at website below:
>
> http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf62.html

-------------------
More information on fast neutron reactors with a list of fast reactors that
have already been in operation at website below:

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf98.html
Tom Blees' "Prescription for the Planet" advocates use of fast breeder
reactors to partially solve the anthropogenic climate warming crisis:

http://prescriptionfortheplanet.com/

The website below, "Science Council for Global Initiatives," presented on
the "Prescription for the Planet" website above, also endorses use of
"Integral Fast Reactors (using nuclear waste as fuel)" with a positive
suggestion that nuclear weapons be used to generate peaceful (my wording)
energy:

http://www.thesciencecouncil.com/