[Vision2020] Liquid-Metal Fast-Breeder Reactor: Twice as Much Energy in World Uranium Reserves (!) as in Fossil Fuel Reserves

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 14:01:41 PDT 2010

Safety, cost and security are all objections to fast breeder reactors.  But
the *long term availability* of reactor fuel to render nuclear reactors a
major contributor to the mix of energy sources needed to largely replace
fossil fuels, *for a century of more on an international scale*, is perhaps
the main reason to give fast breeder reactors consideration.  New reactor
designs, according to scientific sources (given below), are available for
fast breeder reactors, that have the potential to completely replace coal
for electricity generation in the US, for a century or morel; and the safety
and security issues can be managed, according to credible sources.

The efficiency of the use of nuclear fuel in most current nuclear reactor
designs now in operation cannot support a century of more of major expansion
of nuclear power on an international scale, if I understand the facts
correctly.  Fast breeder reactors use fuel much more efficiently, and can
use nuclear waste as fuel.  The subject heading of this post indicates the
vast energy potential of fast breeder reactors.

I am addressing the promise of fast breeder reactors in the context of a
future where accelerating climate change induces a major shift in the
economics of energy production.  If climate change due to how we generate
energy has huge negative economic impacts, even if fast breeder reactors are
more costly than, for example, coal, for energy generation, if they reduce
what may be massive negative economic impacts of climate change, by lowering
greenhouse gas emissions, they may be viewed as cost effective.

There are numerous options for largely replacing fossil fuels for energy:
bio fuels, geothermal, solar (both photovoltaic and thermal), wind, wave and
tidal, nuclear, hydrogen, hydro power and CCS (carbon capture and storage),
if fossil fuels cannot be avoided, for some fossil fuel applications.  Some
of these energy sources may not live up to optimistic claims, but they may
all be needed to address energy needs.  Fast breeder reactors have
advantages over many of the other options, as discussed in the sources given
lower down.

I would rather see a world where energy use is reduced so dramatically that
a massive increase in energy demand does not occur. But realistically, as
the world's population increases to 8-9 billion (or more?), with
industrialized energy intensive development, energy demands will place
incredible pressures for expansion of energy supply.  If energy replacements
for fossil fuels are not ready, global CO2 emissions from fossil fuels may
increase dramatically, with potentially disastrous results from climate
change.  There is too much "smiley face" optimism, it seems to me, that
alternative energy and energy conservation will allow significant reduction
in global fossil fuel use.

The science and engineering involved in fast breeder reactors is very
complex, and I can only defer to those who are qualified to understand the
issues in depth.  From my reading, I gather there is a credible debate, both
pro and con, for expansion of deployment of fast breeder reactors.

I previously in this thread mentioned Tom Blees' book "Prescription of the
Planet," which advocates expansion of fast breeder reactors.  The Union of
Concerned Scientists' David Lochbaum critiqued Blees' book, and Blees
responded, the details of which can be read at website below.  This document
is sourced from Steve Kirsch's website (Kirsch's impressive bio is here:
http://www.skirsch.com/misc/bio.htm ), where he addresses arguments and
objections to expanding fast breeder reactors, specifically in the context
of addressing climate change, at another website below.

UNC's David Lochbaum critiques Blees' "Prescription for the Planet, with

http://www.skirsch.com/politics/globalwarming/ifrUCSresponse.pdf
------------------
Tom Blees' or Kirsch's scientific expertise to specifically address nuclear
technology can be called into question, but other very qualified scientists
are also advocating fast reactors.

In fact, not only are they being advocated, they are now under construction,
or being planned for construction, in Japan and India, as discussed in the
following technical journals referenced below.  The reference immediately
below from June 22, 2010, discusses new Generation IV reactor design
developments, indicating there are six types of Generation IV fast reactors:
 Preliminary Design Study of Medium Sized Gas Cooled Fast Reactor with
Natural Uranium as Fuel Cycle Input AIP Conf.
Proc.<http://scitation.aip.org/proceedings>-- June 22, 2010 -- Volume
1244 <http://scitation.aip.org/dbt/dbt.jsp?KEY=APCPCS&Volume=1244>, pp.
62-69
http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=APCPCS001244000001000062000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes&ref=no
In this study a feasibility design study of medium sized (1000 MWt) gas
cooled fast reactors which can utilize natural uranium as fuel cycle input
has been conducted. Gas Cooled Fast Reactor (GFR) is among six types of
Generation IV Nuclear Power Plants.
-------------------
Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power:

http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=JETPEZ000132000010102921000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes&ref=no

ASME Conference Proceedings

http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=ASMECP002008048241000701000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes&ref=no

-------------------
Again, here is a website for a Scientific American article that argues that
"Fast neutron reactors could extract much more energy from recycled nuclear
fuel, minimize the risks of weapons proliferation, and markedly reduce the
time nuclear waste must be isolated."

http://www.nationalcenter.org/NuclearFastReactorsSA1205.pdf

Perhaps refuting the points in this article is necessary to argue
compellingly against fast reactors?

Below is Steve Kirch's long question and answer discussion, with numerous
references and technical information, regarding fast reactors:

The Integral Fast Reactor (IFR) project: Q&A

http://www.skirsch.com/politics/globalwarming/ifrQandA.htm