[Vision2020] Letter from Walt Minnick

Bill London london at moscow.com
Sat Sep 11 11:07:56 PDT 2010

Fwd: Letter from Walt MinnickMessage from Tom Trail
BL

    B--Rep. Ringo and I just received the following letter from
    Congressman Walt Minnick.  I'll mail you a copy because I think it
    good to have for the written record.  Perhaps it should be posted

  on Vision 2020

   Washington, D.C.

    Dear Tom:

    Thank you for sending me a copy of Shirley Ringo's and your letter to Governor
    Otter on the proposal to use Highway 12 to ship oil refinery equipment to
    Montana and Canada  and for the additional information.

    Like you, I believe that there are still many unanswered questions about this
    proposal, which is why I sent a letter to the Governor and the Idaho Board
    of Transportation echoing your request for a public hearing and asking for more
    tine to solicit public input on the proposal.  As you know, the Governor
    rejected my request.

    Now that Judge Bradbury has revoked the first four permits issued by the
    the State and asked them to review the proposal again, taking into account the
    safety and convenience of the public.  That decision has been appealed to the Idaho Supreme Court.  Like you I look forward to the courts' final ruling.
    Should the court reverse Judge Bradbury I will again review what options then
    exist at the federal level to ensure the public has every opportunity to
    provide appropriate input.

    Again, than you for the letter and information.

    Very truly yours,

    Walt Minnick
    Congressman, ID, 1stCD

    We at least have our lst District Congressman raising the flag.  I wonder
    just what options do exist at the federal level since this is basically
    Idaho law.   Highway 12 is a Federal Highway running through the Scenic
    Rivers area which should give some federal protection.  The shipment of
    oil refining equipment from Korea, Idaho, Montana, and on the Alberta
    certain brings in the Interstate Commerce Clause.

    Rep. Tom Trail
    --

    Dr. Tom Trail
    International Trails