[Vision2020] Caturday (September 11, 2010)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Sep 11 09:36:23 PDT 2010

Courtesy of the Scottish SPCA at:

http://www.scottishspca.org/news/466_cat-rescued-in-drain-drama

Cat rescued in drain drama

The Scottish SPCA has rescued an adventurous cat after he spent two days
stuck in a network of drain pipes in Port William, Newton Stewart (Thursday
2 September).

We were called to help when a local resident of Main Street heard the
distressed cat's cries coming from underneath her conservatory.

Toot, a seven year old male tabby cat, had managed to enter an underground
soak away drainage system, possibly from an outlet at the harbour, and had
travelled deep into the pipes under the lady's house.

Local Ambulance Driver Tracy Cannon answered the call for help, but soon
realised that it was going to be a very complicated rescue operation.

"When I arrived at the address I saw that holes had been cut into the garden
and the lady, kindly helped by her neighbours and a local joiner, had
already gone to great efforts to have some of the floorboards and concrete
in her conservatory uplifted," Tracy explained.

"The pipe-work was exposed and we could see and hear the cat below, meowing,
but we just couldn't get access to him and eventually he moved further along
the pipes and away from us.

"We traced the pipes out into the road and lifted several manholes to try to
find him. Luckily, while we were conducting our search the cat's owner,
Louise Kerr, arrived and came over to help.

"Louise advised us that Toot had been missing since Tuesday evening and she
was desperate to get him back.

"Thankfully, terrified Toot responded to the familiar voice of his owner and
popped his head out of one of the open manholes while we were calling his
name.

"We were delighted to be able to reunite Louise with Toot after what must
have been a scary ordeal for the wee cat. Hopefully he's learned his lesson
and won't go anywhere near a drain pipe again!"

Louise said, "I'm over the moon that Toot has been found. Anytime he's gone
missing in the past I've found him down at the harbour stuck in the lobster
creels, but after hours of searching he was nowhere to be seen and I was
starting to get quite worried.

"It was only when I contacted the local vets that I was told that a lady had
reported a cat stuck in her drains and I knew that it must be Toots so I
rushed over to help find him.

"He was very hungry when I got him home, but after a plateful of prawns and
some milk he was quite happily lying outside sunbathing and none the worse
for wear.

"His brother Teddy and best friends Mabel-Lucy and Milton are all glad to
have him back safe and sound."

Delighted owner Louise Kerr is reunited with Toot.

Louise_Kerr_is_reunited_with_Toot_web.JPG

http://www.scottishspca.org/assets/0002/9472/Louise_Kerr_is_reunited_with_To
ot_web.JPG

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"Corporations are an oppressed minority forced to move headquarters from
state to state in search of friendlier tax codes--sometimes being forced to
live just off our shores in tiny mailboxes."

- John Oliver, The Daily Show