[Vision2020] Neighbors Doing the Right Thing

deb debismith at moscow.com
Wed Sep 8 17:00:39 PDT 2010

Hurrah! Finally, some visible Christians behaving in a Christlike fashion! This is a cause for celebration and perhaps an indication that those cynical, mean-spirited, self-agrandizing "spokesmen" for Christians are not having as much sway as they hoped.

Fear mongering and the use of threats and violence towards other faiths has always had a bad outcome for those targeted, but in the long term also for those trying to gain power through promoting hatred in the name of God.

Lest we forget the Holocaust, the burning of "witches", the whipping-up of anti-Catholic sentiment towards John F. Kennedy, etc. ad infinitum......There are always those among us who use these tactics for their own gain, and those people foolish or delusional enough to believe the lies which prop up their own belief system. The foolish go along in the name of "righteousness", harming others and acting with perceived divine impunity, while the power mongers gain money, followers, and publicity.

The cynical authors and promoters of  "permission to harm" are not the ones who end up in jail for domestic terrorism, racially motivated crimes, or violence towards religious organizations. It is the deluded "righteous" folks who fall for the reassurance of those selfish bottom feeders. It is righteous folk who believe they are doing God's Work while defacing (or blowing up) a Jewish, Mormon, Catholic, Buddhist, Protestant, or Muslim house of worship who end up in the newspaper as a nine-day-wonder and eventually incarcerated. Somehow, the sane and decent folks of religious bent, who actually follow the words and deeds of Christ (or Mohammed for that matter), get mostly left out of the equation.

I feel so sorry for those Real Christians who are identified with Christianity by the deeds of delusionary crackpots on the religious right who are fueled by cynical sociopaths using Christianity to gain power and cash...What a sad chain! And I pray to my Divine Power that you Real Christians are successful in overcoming this adversity, and are able to throw the money-changers and heretics out of the Temples of Abraham.

Debi R-S