[Vision2020] Neighbors Doing the Right Thing

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Sep 8 17:23:35 PDT 2010

Yes.

This, in my heart and mind, is true Christianity.

Courtesy of WMC-TV (Memphis, Tennessee) at:

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13107746

---

Cordova church welcomes new Islamic Center to the neighborhood

CORDOVA, TN (WMC-TV) - In New York protesters continue to demonstrate
against a proposed mosque near the site of the September 11th attacks.  This
protest comes days after a Nashville Mosque site was vandalized.  But here
in the Mid-South there's a different sentiment.  A Cordova church
congregation is welcoming a new Islamic Center.

The words on the sign said it all, "Heartsong Church welcomes Memphis
Islamic Center to the neighborhood."

"Once we put up the sign, within three days people from Memphis Islamic
Center contacted us and were overwhelmed with emotion that we would be so
welcoming."

Steve Stone, pastor of Heartsong Church, said when he heard about plans for
the multimillion dollar Memphis Islamic Center Complex being built near his
church, he knew he had to react.

"I don't know a lot about Islam and I only know one fellow who is a Muslim,"
said Pastor Stone.  "So I knew it was going to be a learning process for me,
but we follow Jesus and he tells us to love our neighbors."

Stone said he hopes that by putting out a welcome mat for Muslims, it will
send a strong message to those who may have associated Christians with being
anti-Islam.

"People that associate Christians with folks that are afraid of or don't
like Muslims, I can't judge those people that are Christian.  I believe that
to take the name of Christ and do hateful things is a real insult."

To prove his point, Stone told Action News 5 that the Heartsong Church
congregation is taking its new relationship with members of the Memphis
Islamic Center one step further.

"Their facility is not quite finished and they came and asked us if they
might be able to use our facility for Ramadan prayers which we took as a
high compliment."

Stone said it's the beginning of a friendship he hopes will inspire others
to love their neighbors.

According to Pastor Stone, the congregations of both churches have gotten to
know each other on a first name basis.  They even call each other brother
and sister.

13107746_BG1.jpg

http://wmctv.images.worldnow.com/images/13107746_BG1.jpg

---