[Vision2020] Neighbors Doing the Right Thing

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Thu Sep 9 12:43:34 PDT 2010

Thank God.

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com

From: thansen at moscow.com
To: vision2020 at moscow.com
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 17:23:35 -0700
Subject: [Vision2020] Neighbors Doing the Right Thing

Yes.

This, in my heart and mind, is true Christianity.

Courtesy
of WMC-TV (Memphis, Tennessee) at:

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13107746

Cordova
church welcomes new Islamic Center to the neighborhood

CORDOVA,
TN (WMC-TV) - In New York protesters continue to demonstrate against a proposed
mosque near the site of the September 11th attacks.  This protest comes
days after a Nashville Mosque site was vandalized.  But here in the
Mid-South there's a different sentiment.  A Cordova church congregation is
welcoming a new Islamic Center.

The
words on the sign said it all, "Heartsong Church welcomes Memphis Islamic
Center to the neighborhood."

"Once
we put up the sign, within three days people from Memphis Islamic Center
contacted us and were overwhelmed with emotion that we would be so
welcoming."

Steve
Stone, pastor of Heartsong Church, said when he heard about plans for the
multimillion dollar Memphis Islamic Center Complex being built near his church,
he knew he had to react.

"I
don't know a lot about Islam and I only know one fellow who is a Muslim,"
said Pastor Stone.  "So I knew it was going to be a learning process
for me, but we follow Jesus and he tells us to love our neighbors."

Stone
said he hopes that by putting out a welcome mat for Muslims, it will send a
strong message to those who may have associated Christians with being
anti-Islam.

"People
that associate Christians with folks that are afraid of or don't like Muslims,
I can't judge those people that are Christian.  I believe that to take the
name of Christ and do hateful things is a real insult."

prove his point, Stone told Action News 5 that the Heartsong Church
congregation is taking its new relationship with members of the Memphis Islamic
Center one step further.

"Their
facility is not quite finished and they came and asked us if they might be able
to use our facility for Ramadan prayers which we took as a high
compliment."

Stone
said it's the beginning of a friendship he hopes will inspire others to love
their neighbors.

According
to Pastor Stone, the congregations of both churches have gotten to know each
other on a first name basis.  They even call each other brother and
sister.

-----------------

http://wmctv.images.worldnow.com/images/13107746_BG1.jpg

God
bless.

Seeya
round town, Moscow.

Tom
Hansen

Moscow,
Idaho

"The
Pessimist complains about the wind, the Optimist expects it to change and the
Realist adjusts his sails."

-
Unknown

 List services made available by First Step Internet,