[Vision2020] Local Islamophobia & Gresham Bouma

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Wed Sep 1 10:16:40 PDT 2010

Since we are now in a new month, I should have provided the web site
of the Freeze Church:

http://www.freezechurch.org/page41.html

Thank you for the web site of the Freeze Church sermon, Saundra.

What a mixed-up message! Confounding an ancient 5th/4th century
B.C.E. prophecy of imminent disasters with the speaking in tongues
account in the late 1st century C.E. book of Acts is an old Christian
scare tactic.

The semiliterate author of the sermon does not seem to know that the
proper noun, "Bible," is always spelled with a capital "B." And
throughout the Old Testament, in English translations, even in the
New International Version (NIV), "LORD" is spelled with ALL CAPS.
Check any English Bible.

The original Hebrew is spelled YHWH, for Yahweh, God's personal name.
(The Semitic languages, Hebrew and Arabic, are written without
vowels.) So "the day of the LORD" means "the day of Yahweh." The New
Jerusalem Bible and its predecessor, The Jerusalem Bible, translate
YHWH as Yahweh, not LORD. (Both are good honest translations.)

Ralph