[Vision2020] Ten Commandments?

Wayne Price bear at moscow.com
Sun Oct 24 17:28:00 PDT 2010

Well, to jump in on the side of the "trouble makers", my background is
Jesuit Catholic, and I was taught that it is: "Thou shalt not murder",
which as Bob D. pointed out is far far different than
thou shalt not kill.

A good place to start is this passage from the Sacred Book of Wikipedia:

"Multiple translations exist of the fifth/sixth commandment; the
Hebrew words לא תרצח are variously translated as "thou shalt not
kill" or "thou shalt not murder," though recent research suggests that
neither one is accurate, as noted immediately below. Older Protestant
translations of the Bible, those based on the Vulgate and Roman
Catholic translations usually render it as "Thou shalt not kill,"
whereas Jewish and newer Protestant versions tend to use "You shall
not murder." There is controversy as to which translation is more
faithful, and both forms are quoted in support of many opposing
ethical standpoints.
The Vulgate (Latin) translation has Non occides, i.e. "Thou shalt not
kill." English translations using "kill" include the King James
(Authorised) (1611) [although note Matthew19:18 "do not murder,"
following the Vulgate non homicidium facies], the American Standard
(1901) and Revised Standard (American Protestant, 1952) Versions.
Almost all Roman Catholic translations, including the Douay-Rheims
Bible (1609/1752), the New American Bible (1970), the New Jerusalem
Bible (1985) and the Christian Community Bible(1986), have "kill."
Martin Luther (German, 1534) also uses töten (kill).
Protestant translations using "murder" include the New International
Version (American, 1978), New American Standard Bible (American,
1971), New English Bible (British Protestant, 1970), and the New King
James (American, 1982), New Revised Standard (American, 1989) and
English Standard (American Protestant, 2001) Versions. Jewish
translations almost all use "murder," including the Jewish Publication
Society of America Version (1917), the Judaica Press tanach (1963) and
the Living Torah (1981). A Jewish exception to this pattern is the
Artscroll or Stone Edition tanach (1996).
The Old Testament's examples of killings sanctioned by God are often
cited in defense of the view that "murder" is a more accurate
translation. Additionally, Hebrew has other words for "kill,"
including הרג (harag) and המית (heimit), while רצח (ratzach),
which is found in the Ten Commandments לא תרצח (lo tirtzach), was
more specific. Joel M. Hoffman concludes that "kill" is too broad but
"murder" is too narrow to reflect tirtsah. "