[Vision2020] the big storm

Don Coombs mushroom at moscow.com
Wed Nov 17 10:20:44 PST 2010

Craine Kit wrote:

> .... Here's the curious part: A week or so ago, a company claiming to be
> from Avista did some work on the transformer across the street from
> our house. Supposedly, it was to make the power more reliable. I
> wonder if their efforts actually made the power less reliable or if
> their work would never have worked under last night's conditions.
>
> Any thoughts or explanations?

Across from my house, the crew just replaced a ground
wire on the transformer, and that's the kind of thing
that, yes, would make service more reliable.

Eighty-five mph winds are a tough challenge for any
company that has to get power from pole to pole where
there are big trees.

I don't remember whether the trucks across from my
house had "Avista" on the side or not, but at least
some of the crew were not Avista employees. Apparently
it's common to bring in hired (and qualified)
gunslingers to do both routine maintenance and
emergency repairs.

Don Coombs