[Vision2020] the big storm

Craine Kit kcraine at frontier.com
Tue Nov 16 16:50:25 PST 2010

Just out of curiosity.

I've been watching the power outage maps since 1:30 this morning when
our house went dark (see https://www.avistautilities.com/safety/_layouts/avista/transactions/ViewOutages.aspx?map=1
  and be patient, the map takes forever to load). The map shows
rectangular areas in patterns which might be the result of
transformers going down. I also heard a number of booms associated
with transformers tripping off.

Here's the curious part: A week or so ago, a company claiming to be
from Avista did some work on the transformer across the street from
our house. Supposedly, it was to make the power more reliable. I
wonder if their efforts actually made the power less reliable or if
their work would never have worked under last night's conditions.

Any thoughts or explanations?

Kit Craine