[Vision2020] NSIDC: 2010 Arctic Sea Ice Decline Highest for Month of May During Satellite Record.

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 21 19:06:15 PDT 2010

I was attempting to show you that there are reasons for skepticism that
are based on good sound science.  You seem to think that the only way
you can be skeptical of anthropogenic global warming is if you either
"construct confirmation bias filters" or "dismiss the overwhelming
evidence".  There is a lot of room for error in this theory.  The link
you posted on climate sensitivity shows values that are all over the
board, from 0.26 to 5.5 Kelvins.  There doesn't seem to be a trend that
shows them converging on a final number, either.  Since 2000, the range
is 0.75 to 4.5 Kelvin.  Anything under about 1.2 is probably not a
problem, since it implies strong negative feedback.  Anything over about
2 could be a definite problem, depending upon the exact feedbacks
involved.  It doesn't appear to me that climate scientists are on top of
the feedback problem, either.  I'm not even confident that they have
identified them all, let alone figured out exactly how they affect each
other.

I was speaking directly to the part of your post that said "and Arctic
sea ice also is on track to tie or exceed the previous record low of
2007" when I posted what I did.  That was to show that the trends, which
are highly tied to the satellite record, could be wrong even if they
continue as they have since it's more than possible that they have
mistaken sea ice buildup with a corresponding drop in snow cover as a
decline in overall ice thickness.

One major point I've been trying to make through all of this is that the
climate is a complicated system and that I expect that climate
scientists will continue to be surprised by it in the years to come.
That doesn't mean that the catastrophic scenarios described elsewhere
won't happen, just that I don't put too much faith in them based on the
complexities involved and because of the amount of politics that seem to
be driving the science.

Paul