[Vision2020] state board

Shirley Ringo ringoshirl at moscow.com
Thu Feb 18 16:12:23 PST 2010

Visionaries:

This morning, Trail, Ringo, and Chavez made comments at the State Board of Education meeting in opposition to their proposed human resources policy.  I did not submit my remarks to the media.  Here is a review of my testimony.

Shirley Ringo

Good morning  - Mr. Chairman and Board Members:

I am Shirley Ringo, Representing Legislative District 6 - Moscow, University of Idaho, all of Latah County

I am here to ask you to reconsider your resolution concerning Human Resources.

Certain things are unique to the public sector.  Particularly in a University, there is a certain spirit that envelops the employees.  As I have watched those at the University of Idaho, loyalty to the University has been overwhelming.  We have the good fortune to have outstanding faculty and researchers.  Typically, they could be paid better at another institution, but they choose to stay at the University. You are quite aware of the wide arena in which we much compete for outstanding faculty members.

There is also a certain university culture that prevails.  Faculty members expect to be highly involved in decision-making regarding their university.  They pay great attention to process.  This document is very weak on process.  For example, it specifies that the "institution" will take input.  How will that be done, and what persons constitute the "institution?"  Input will be "considered" and the "institution" will establish procedures.

Use of this resolution is in response to a "financial challenge."  What constitutes "financial challenge?"  Without a tight definition, we may find a university president launching this process at the drop of a hat.

This resolution gives great authority to the University President.  That may be easier to do when you know that individual and have confidence in that individual.  But we want a system that will be strong over time - a system that will work well regardless of personalities.  (In the public school arena, I have seen a power-hungry administrator ruin a school system and its community.)

When financial hard times hit, the entire university community must pull together and find the best solution.   In order for that solution to work, there must be buy-in.  People affected need to be part of the problem-solving process.  Anything less is a recipe for disaster.  Failure to involve employees in decision-making will threaten recruitment and retention of the best educators.

Personally, I am disappointed in my legislative colleagues.  We should take a broader approach - be more innovative to support economic recovery.  We won't see the job growth we need unless we support a strong university system.  Unfortunately, universities and colleges will have to continue to deal with "financial challenges."  But we need a strong, well-defined process.  Employees are the backbone of the institutions.  Please recognize that.

Without adoption of this policy, do the universities and LCSC have the tools to work through this crisis?  Yes.  Administration, working with faculty councils and others can do it.  Please take a step back, and involve more higher education employees in formulating policy.  The result will be better, more widely respected, and more widely accepted.  Thank you for your consideration.