[Vision2020] COLA

JLBrown jlbrown at turbonet.com
Thu Feb 18 13:18:25 PST 2010

Below is from the Lewiston Tribune.  I can't see denying retirees a small 1%
COLA as anything other than mean-spirited.  PERSI apparently has the ability
to fund this COLA with no adverse consequences to anyone anywhere.  Beyond
that:  heaven forbid that the public be permitted to participate in the
public's business.  Betsy Russell also has more about this issue on her Eye
on Boise blog at http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/boise/.

Judy

Breaking News

Resolution blocking retirees' COLA back in play

February 18, 2010, 11:19 am

BOISE -- In a surprise move, the House State Affairs Committee reversed
itself this morning and supported a resolution to block a cost-of-living
increase for state retirees.

On Wednesday, the committee voted 13-5 to reject the resolution. This
morning, the party-line vote was 12-4 to send it to the full House with a
favorable recommendation.

The issue was not included on the committee's agenda. No public testimony
was taken, and no one from the Public Employee Retirement System was
present.

"I was a little apprehensive about not putting it on the agenda, (but) it
has to pass the Senate by next Tuesday," said Chairman Thomas Loertscher,
R-Iona. "I felt like it probably shouldn't go on the agenda. If it had, we
necessarily would have had to take more testimony.'