[Vision2020] Moscow Crosswalks or Sidewalks Safe for Bicycles/Pedestrians, According to Idaho Law?

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 22:45:16 PST 2010

I had made an assumption (!) that the presence of bicyclists or pedestrians
on sidewalks or crosswalks requires in most cases the drivers of motor
vehicles to yield.  Thus if a motor vehicle strikes a bicyclist or
pedestrian on a sidewalk or crosswalk, I assumed they are almost always at
fault (the laws regarding bicyclists requiring lights at dark and
pedestrians not requiring lights, are a factor, of course, though it seems
that pedestrians should also be required to carry lights at night).

In fact, according to the following source, "Under Idaho law, ..., the car
driver is often given the benefit of the doubt."

So to anyone bicycling or walking on the sidewalks or crosswalks of Moscow,
remember, "Under Idaho law, ..., the car driver is often given the benefit
of the doubt. Your attorney will have to stand up to insurance defense
lawyers who will do everything possible to blame you, the victim."

The source for this legal information:

http://www.lawnorthwest.com/PracticeAreas/Pedestrian-Car-Accidents.asp