[Vision2020] Installment 16: Integrity

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 09:40:42 PST 2010

Thanks, Jeff! I agree with this agreement! And I agree with this point
especially, which would support your definition:

"Ordinary intuitions about integrity tend to allow both that integrity
is a formal relation to the self and that it has something to do with
acting morally." <http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/integrity/>

But not then it lists 5 different ways of cashing this out. Take just
one: (v) integrity as a virtue.

To note just one complex issue, there is the debate between virtue
theories and deontological theories. Some versions of the ten
commandments theory of ethics are paradigms of deontology. We is
restricted by the prohibitions and obligations noted on the list;
everything else is permissible (though not necessarily praiseworthy).
Another version of deontological theory says all that matters is
belief in God, that once you've satisfied that requirement you can do
what you wish and you'll still be moral. I'm not saying these are good
or bad theories or that anyone necessarily holds them, just that they
are deontological theories.

Virtue theories are very different. What is right in a particular
situation is the act that the virtuous agent would perform. Since
situations change, it is difficult to put all of this into a
prohibitive list.

The big dilemma, in this debate then, is this:

Is the right thing to do morally right thing right because it's on (or
off) a list of dos (and don'ts)?

Or:

Is doing the right thing a matter of having the right character and
doing what, say, the virtuous woman would do?

This is just one debate that comes up. Best, Joe