[Vision2020] Installment 16: Integrity

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Thu Dec 30 08:49:44 PST 2010

  I rather favor this perspective about integrity (from the Stanford
Encyclopedia of Philosophy, Aug 1, 2008):

"Integrity is one of the most important and oft-cited of virtue terms.
It is also perhaps the most puzzling. For example, while it is sometimes
used virtually synonymously with 'moral,' we also at times distinguish
acting morally from acting with integrity. Persons of integrity may in
fact act immorally---though they would usually not know they are acting
immorally. Thus one may acknowledge a person to have integrity even
though that person may hold importantly mistaken moral views.

When used as a virtue term, 'integrity' refers to a quality of a
person's character; however, there are other uses of the term. One may
speak of the integrity of a wilderness region or an ecosystem, a
computerized database, a defense system, a work of art, and so on. When
it is applied to objects, integrity refers to the wholeness, intactness
or purity of a thing---meanings that are sometimes carried over when it
is applied to people. A wilderness region has integrity when it has not
been corrupted by development or by the side-effects of development,
when it remains intact as wilderness. A database maintains its integrity
as long as it remains uncorrupted by error; a defense system as long as
it is not breached. A musical work might be said to have integrity when
its musical structure has a certain completeness that is not intruded
upon by uncoordinated, unrelated musical ideas; that is, when it
possesses a kind of musical wholeness, intactness and purity.

Integrity is also attributed to various parts or aspects of a person's
life. We speak of attributes such as professional, intellectual and
artistic integrity. However, the most philosophically important sense of
the term 'integrity' relates to general character. Philosophers have
been particularly concerned to understand what it is for a person to
exhibit integrity throughout life. Acting with integrity on some
particularly important occasion will, philosophically speaking, always
be explained in terms of broader features of a person's character and
life. What is it to be a person /of/ integrity? Ordinary discourse about
integrity involves two fundamental intuitions: first, that integrity is
primarily a formal relation one has to oneself, or between parts or
aspects of one's self; and second, that integrity is connected in an
important way to acting morally, in other words, there are some
substantive or normative constraints on what it is to act with integrity.

Ordinary intuitions about integrity tend to allow both that integrity is
a formal relation to the self and that it has something to do with
acting morally. How these two intuitions can be incorporated into a
consistent theory of integrity is not obvious, and most accounts of
integrity tend to focus on one of these intuitions to the detriment of
the other. A number of accounts have been advanced, the most important
of them being: (i) integrity as the integration of self; (ii) integrity
as maintenance of identity; (iii) integrity as standing for something;
(iv) integrity as moral purpose; and (v) integrity as a virtue."

(http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/integrity/)