[Vision2020] Purpose of Postings

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 20:24:00 PST 2010

I'll say it again: If you were having a conversation and someone
interrupted with another, completely different conversation, you would
take that as being rude. Am I wrong? And I took the trouble to qualify
the comment, on several occasions, with words like "seems" and to
stress, more than once, that I was just looking for an explanation.
Not sure how I could have been clearer. An explanation was given and
I'm fine with it. End of discussion, as far as I'm concerned.

I just wonder why it is that a whole bunch of conservative folks can
get away with a whole bunch of actual rude behavior without anyone
saying anything but folks jump on me on a regular basis. Now I'm not
at all suggesting that I don't deserve it. Sometimes I do. But if you
look carefully at my last few posts there hasn't really been a lot of
rude things that I've said. Just asked some (admittedly loaded)
questions, that's all. Not violent rhetoric, by any means.

I find it interesting that conservatives can get away with a whole lot
of crap that liberals cannot. Keely and Crabtree got into a tussle
recently and he dragged her all through the mud. A woman. In public.
Then she lost it and made some insulting comment (which struck me as
not too bad, by the way) and someone jumped all over her. I can only
imagine what kind of whip would come down were WSU or UI to post on
the front page of their website the progressive version of the NSA
advertisement. There are other examples.

Part of my participation on the V all these years has been a kind of
experiment, to try to act like Crabtree, Wilson, etc. and dish it out.
Be direct, maybe insulting but don't back down. But the fact is, they
get away with it. Not from Tom, etc. but from you and other more
moderates in town, as well as many of the liberals/progressives. Their
dish-it-out rhetoric works, it is attractive to other conservatives
and moderates. But when liberals like myself use that same rhetorical
style it is (in general) a turnoff. I find that interesting. Part of
my participation is an attempt to understand this; part of it is
because I'm a bit of jackass, no doubt.

And I'm not making any other point than that. It is interesting that
certain rhetorical styles work for certain political groups and not
others. I didn't mean to suggest there was something to it, some
comment toward you. You are a perfectly reasonable, moderate youngish
man. The fact is lots of reasonable moderates are turned off by
aggressive progressives. I just find that interesting, that's all.
Because in the end, it is ALL just words. Nothing more.

Best, Joe