[Vision2020] Sometimes the Good Guys Win (even if it's just temporary)

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 17 16:55:26 PDT 2010

This leads me to a question I've been meaning to ask regarding this issue.
Should we even be looking at the use to which large loads will be put as a
criteria for determining whether or not a permit should be issued?  Or should we
just be looking at the size of the load, the weights involved, and other
technical information?  Everybody seems to be looking to this as a "win" for the
"good guys" because we are in effect sticking it to Big Oil.  But shouldn't we
not care why someone wants to transport something (barring illegality) along our
roadways?  At least as far as the permit process is concerned?  Otherwise, you
might end up with rules that unfairly benefit one party over another.  For
example, is it reasonable to allow, say, wind turbines of a similar size (I'm
making this up) to be transported but not this refining equipment?

I agree with Roger that there should be a bond if they are worried that the
person or company receiving the permit may cause undue damage to the roads.  Or
they should unilaterally decide that all loads greater than a given set of
dimensions or gross tonnage will be denied.  This should just be a bureaucratic
issue of a technical nature, not a political one.

I find it interesting that I always seem to end up defending groups that I don't
necessarily agree with.  Things should be fair for all sides, though, not just
fair for those we agree with politically.  Anyway, I thought that was the
elephant in the room here and just wanted to put that out there.

Maybe I'm just pissed that I haven't gotten my latest check on time from Big Oil
for my climate change skepticism work.

That was a joke, btw.

Paul