[Vision2020] More than rascals

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 15:30:38 PDT 2010

The following paragraph is exactly what I wrote (including the error of
hyphenating "socio-path") regarding empathy, sociopathic tendencies and
mental illness, two days ago in an "Off List" discussion prompted by the
post "[Vision2020] MIT Neuroscientists: Moral judgments can be altered ...
by magnets"  I was surprised to read a somewhat similar analysis expressed
on Vision2020 in this thread:

On the issue or "normal" versus "mentally ill" regarding free will and moral
responsibility, assuming rigid determinism and no free will, defining
mentally normal and ill might just be a matter of evaluating rational
decision making capabilities linked to properly functioning behavioral and
emotional make-up, which could all be deterministic in how they operate.  It
is well known that some socio-paths are highly rational and intelligent, and
can manage complex behaviors to achieve given ends; but they have what most
consider an emotional defect, that they have no empathy for others.  They
can hurt other human beings terribly and feel detached, or feel pleasure,
not unpleasantness as emotionally healthy people would.  Research has shown
that some of these socio-paths were severely neglected and/or abused as
infants and children, thus they did not form the human emotional connections
that are the foundations of empathy.  There may also be genetic influences
in these cases.  What I find untenable is that sometimes socio-paths are not
defined as being mentally ill, in our justice system, or in psychiatry.  I
rather think they are profoundly mentally ill, even if they appear rational,
aware of what they are doing, and in "control" of their behavior.  "Control"
of behavior, knowledge of the law and/or behavioral codes and rational
thinking capabilities are only part of the issue.  If someones emotional
functioning is severely damaged (no capacity for empathy, for example), this
is clearly mental illness, to my mind.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett