[Vision2020] Chicago Mayor Richard Daley on Wal-Mart

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 26 15:43:45 PDT 2010

http://tinyurl.com/27ehsws

Mayor Richard Daley today called for a vote by the full City Council
on a contentious plan for a Wal-Mart on the Far South Side,
regardless of whether the council's Zoning Committee first approves
the proposal.

"Vote it up or down, and then go back and tell the people 'Hey, I got
a job as alderman, but you don't have one, ha ha ha,'" said Daley who
supports the Wal-Mart as a rare opportunity to put hundreds of people
to work in a down economy. "Laugh at the people: 'I got a job, OK,
you don't have a job.' "

Ald. Daniel Solis, 25th, the zoning committee chairman, said in the
event the proposal for the residential and shopping development
anchored by the giant retailer in the Pullman neighborhood does not
get a majority of votes in his committee, he would consider sending
it to the full council anyway.

"I would consult with Alderman Beale, depending on what the vote is,"
said Solis, who is trying to determine if the committee hearing will
be held May 5 or May 7.

Ald. Anthony Beale, 9th, has been pushing hard to get the Pullman
project going in his ward, arguing his constituents need the jobs as
well as the grocery store Wal-Mart would provide as an oasis in the
Far South Side "food desert."

Labor unions and aldermanic allies oppose allowing big retailers such
as Wal-Mart into the city without approval of a so-called living wage
ordinance. The latest version introduced would require retailers who
get city subsidies for their project to pay workers at least $11.03
an hour.

The years-long stalemate on the issue has left Chicago with only one
Wal-Mart within the city limits.

http://tinyurl.com/27ehsws

Ken