[Vision2020] Deary Teens Sentenced

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 26 13:40:20 PDT 2010

Janesta,

With all due respect,  the judge had access not only to the police reports in the case but also the report prepared by the juvenile probation office.  That latter investigates the incident, the juvenile's prior history, his family, mental, physical, and substance abuse history. It provides a better look at the juvenile than anyone here has had. I'll wager it didn't describe either of them as 'very violent.'

Safety of the community is almost always the first thing a judge looks at. "Disrespect to the citizens of Latah County," whatever that means, is not on the list of sentencing goals, and a good thing too. To me that looks more like an invitation to letting the mob decide than justice.

As someone who's represented clients in front of him for almost a decade, and occasionally prosecuted them in front of him before that, I can say that 'Bleeding heart' are two words not used in the same sentence as 'Judge Calhoun.'

A right to be upset, Tom? Maybe thirty days is nothing to you. I daresay it's a little different to a scared 14 year-old boy. Am I implying you're not fully knowledgeable, I would hope it's more explicit than that. You're not. You know you're not, or at least you ought to know it.

Poor Bill Thompson; asks to send the boys to juvie prison and yet gets ripped here.

Sunil