[Vision2020] Washington Voters Could See Income Tax Initiative

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Apr 20 17:36:42 PDT 2010

Courtesy of the Seattle PI at:

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/6420ap_wa_income_tax.html

Washington voters could see income tax initiative

By CURT WOODWARD
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

OLYMPIA, Wash. -- Bill Gates Sr. is among the leaders expected to announce
an initiative campaign to establish a "high-earners" income tax in
Washington.

In a statement released late Tuesday, advocates touted Initiative 1077. It
would set up an income tax on individuals making more than $200,000 per
year, or $400,000 for couples. The initiative also would cut the state
property tax by 20 percent, and eliminate the business and occupation tax
for small businesses.

Advocates say it would raise about $1 billion per year for education and
health care programs.

Income tax measures have been raised over the years in Washington, with
little success so far.

Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"Getting across and appreciating that the people of the world are all
totally interdependent."

- Bill Gates