[Vision2020] UI Safer With Moscow Police

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Fri Apr 16 17:57:33 PDT 2010

Choosing any has risks.

I feel that the MPD has improved is several ways since David Duke took over from Cameron Hershaw as assistant chief.  And the officer who was in charge of the campus some time ago who smoked the weed is gone.

The MPD is not perfect, and I have been and still am a critic.  I hope they can continue to improve.  However, the MPD have invested in and continue to invest in training with some of it very applicable to potential campus situations.

I do not think that the UI has the monetary or management resources to recruit, train, and maintain a viable, competent police force.  It is an undertaking which is more complex than it appears.

In my years as both an employee and as a consultant my experience has been that private security/policing firms at best are marginally competent and marginally honest, and at worse more corrupt and more incompetent than almost all public law enforcement agencies.

Of course, when looking at bids, it is just not the price that is important, but the quality.

I know that there are some noteworthy issues about the present campus policing.  I think the way to handle these are to communicate regularly about them and work through them rather than buy a pig in a poke.  Perhaps when President Nellis gets time after dealing with issues and personnel problems bequeathed to him by the last administration, he can set up some mechanism to insure that campus policing by the MPD meets both the requirements of law and addresses the safety issues of campus.

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID  83843