[Vision2020] Potsdam University's Rahmstorf Compares Independent Global Temperature Data Sets

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 12:49:37 PDT 2010

The article from April 1, 2010, at the website first below is in German, but
the quote below is translated from the article, and the graph from the
article, comparing 5 temperature data sets (Hadley, GISS, UAH, RSS,
NOAA/NCDC), perhaps does not require translation.

Rahmstorf indicates that he "never worked" with Phil Jones' data (Phil Jones
of the Climatic Research Unit of East Anglia University, whose e-mails were
criminally hacked resulting in a media frenzy of exaggerations and
distortions regarding climate science and scientists), refuting the claim
that "the entire profession" of climate science "based much of its work
on his [Jones'] research"...

http://www.wissenslogs.de/wblogs/blog/klimalounge/medien-check/2010-04-01/klimaforscher-bashing-beim-spiegel
------------------

Stefan Rahmstorf's website:

Professor of Physics of the Oceans, Potsdam
University<http://www.uni-potsdam.de/>
Head of Earth System
Analysis,<http://www.pik-potsdam.de/research/research-domains/earth-system-analysis>PIK
Fellow<http://www.pik-potsdam.de/news/in-short/stefan-rahmstorf-elected-fellow-of-the-american-geophysical-union?set_language=en>of
the American Geophysical Union
Honorary Fellow <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twya6HcGmVY> of the
University of Wales/Bangor
Member of the Academia Europaea <http://www.acadeuro.org/>
Member of the German Advisory Council on Global Change (WBGU)
<http://www.wbgu.de/>

http://www.pik-potsdam.de/~stefan/
-----------------

Translated quote from article:

According to DER SPIEGEL “the entire profession” of climate science “based
much of its work on his [Jones'] research” and “almost every internal debate
among the climate popes passed through his computer”. Now it happens that I,
most likely not an untypical example, have never worked with Jones’ data and
have only exchanged a handful of emails (out of tens of thousands every
year) with him, although I do probably count as part of the “profession”.
There is a whole set of other data of global temperature, e.g. the data from
NASA <http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata/GLB.Ts+dSST.txt>which is
based on weather stations (and which I prefer for various
reasons<http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2009/10/a-warming-pause/>)
or data from NOAA
<ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/anomalies/annual.land_ocean.90S.90N.df_1901-2000mean.dat>or
the satellite data from RSS
<http://www.remss.com/data/msu/monthly_time_series/RSS_Monthly_MSU_AMSU_Channel_TLT_Anomalies_Land_and_Ocean_v03_2.txt>or
the UAH <http://vortex.nsstc.uah.edu/public/msu/t2lt/tltglhmam_5.3>. As is
always scientifically useful, important conclusions are based not on one
single set of data but on the fact that a whole range of competing
scientific groups find consistent results, using different methods (see
Figure).