[Vision2020] Rabbi Fink on the Health Freedom Act

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Sat Apr 10 12:51:00 PDT 2010

An excellent article by Rabbi Fink in Boise.
Ralph

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/04/10/1147814/health-freedom-act-
puts-idaho.html

The Idaho Statesman

Fink: Health Freedom Act puts Idaho in some bad company

By Dan Fink - Special to the Idaho Statesman

Published: 04/10/10

With their proclamations of sovereignty and passage of the Idaho
Health Freedom Act, which purports to exempt our state from federally
mandated health care reform, our governor and Legislature have
reduced Idaho to the level of a petulant child whining to Washington,
"You're not the boss of me!"

This position may curry favor with anti-government zealots, but it is
also legally and ethically wrong-headed, and fighting it will
squander enormous resources.

The U.S. Constitution clearly grants the federal government the power
to write laws that are binding on all 50 states. In 1861, the
Confederacy challenged that authority - and lost when the Civil War
ended with their unconditional surrender.

The history is telling because ever since then, efforts to re-vivify
the old states' rights argument have consistently been - to borrow a
phrase from Samuel Johnson - the last refuge of scoundrels. Idaho
Republicans have now cast their lot with the dubious company of
antebellum slaveholders and Jim Crow Southern segregationists. Now,
as then, assertions of state sovereignty have nothing to do with real
freedom and everything to do with maintaining an unjust and
oppressive status quo.

Why has this always been the case? Because genuine freedom is not
about the childish notion that one can do whatever one desires,
regardless of the cost.

My Jewish tradition speaks out of a deeper understanding of
liberation in this season. Our festival of Passover marks our
deliverance from Egyptian bondage - but we regard that exodus as
merely the first step of the journey rather than the final goal. We
remind ourselves of this by counting the omer, the seven weeks that
separate Passover and Shavuot, the holiday that celebrates the giving
of the Torah on Mt. Sinai. This connection asserts that freedom does
not find its fulfillment until we accept the responsibility to one
another and the rest of God's creation that is at the heart of
Torah's teachings.

By this same logic, the federal government can and should require
individuals to purchase health insurance for the same reason that
states require drivers to buy auto insurance: We are part of a the
commonweal, and the welfare of any one citizen affects the welfare of
us all. Mandating that those who are healthy and can afford to pay
must do so is the only way to create a pool large enough to cover the
needs of those who can't afford insurance on their own.

This is our moral obligation because we are, as the Bible
consistently teaches, our brothers' and sisters' keepers.

An important Talmudic teaching describes the classic libertarian
attitude of "what's mine is mine and what's yours is yours" as the
morality of Sodom. Indeed, the sin of Sodom has nothing to do with
sexuality (as many anti-gay groups would have it), and everything to
do with selfishness and the tyranny of valuing individual wealth over
social responsibility.

As the prophet Ezekiel taught: "Only this was the sin of your sister
Sodom: arrogance! She had plenty of bread and untroubled tranquility,
yet she did not support the poor and the needy ... and so I removed
them, as you saw."

Alas, here in Idaho - 3,000 years later - too little has changed. The
so-called "Idaho Health Care Freedom Act" only entrenches our place
among tantrum-throwing toddlers, selfish sinners of Sodom and
spiteful segregationists.

Is this really the kind of company our governor and Legislature wish
to keep?

Dan Fink is the rabbi for the Ahavath Beth Israel congregation.