[Vision2020] Say What?

Wayne Price bear at moscow.com
Wed Sep 16 10:36:10 PDT 2009

Sunil,

First, you are totally correct about Afghanistan NEVER having been
successfully occupied throughout history, and to try that today is
total folly if not insanity.

Having said that, do I think that there could be any kind of success
over there? YES, I do, but not if we keep going the way we are now.
First, we need to cut our troop
numbers in half, and loose ALL of the mercenaries/contractors we have
over there. And of the 35k soldiers that are left, we need to swap
them out and put in more builders,
trainers and consensus builders on the ground. The Afghan's that I met
over the last 7 years don't want or need a hand out, they need a hand
up. When the military adopted
the Rumsfeld doctrine /mind set that the military is not a "nation
building" organization, we were doomed to failure there.

Can it be brought around? YES, it can, but not with what we're doing
now. The solution to Afghanistan's problems HAS to be an Afghanistani
solution, not one dreamed
up by middle class white guys and imposed on them from Washington or
the Pentagon. Has ANYONE read anywhere what Afghanistan is supposed to
look like when we
declare victory and leave?  It's not good enough to say we don't know
what success is supposed to look like, but we'll know it when we get
there!

Let's just take this last election over there as an example. Do you
really trust the accuracy of the vote counting?  Has the US come out
and said, "Wait a minute, the election was so riddled with
fraud that we have to go back to square one and start all over"?
Nope! And why not?  Well, what happens when the Afghanistani leader
that we hand picked, Karzai, looks the Americans in the eye and say,
Is my election any more or less suspect than George Bush's  in 2001?
Do we have the testical fortitude to tell him, no, it isn't but here
you are going to do it over again or you have lost our support.  The
people of Afghanistan are a proud
noble people. Prior to the last election Karzai was at best considered
the Mayor of Kabul, now he is considered the fraudulently elected
Mayor of Kabul!

Now, there are some hard liners here that would ask: What if they
elect someone that doesn't like Americans?  GREAT! That makes the
withdrawal even easier, and it IS a great victory for democracy! THE
PEOPLE
elected a government that wants us out, that is their will and desire,
IF it is an honest election, not like the farce that they just went
through.

Now, as to the matter of Pakistan, and the acts of war that we
continue to commit against them. Attacks on sovereign  Pakistani
territory, without the permission of the government ,is an act of war
and I can only assume at this point there is some reason why the
government of Pakistan hasn't hauled the US before the UN for an
answer to some very pointed questions.  What a GREAT way to build
friendships in the area!