[Vision2020] Steed newspaper stickers

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Tue Nov 3 10:49:46 PST 2009

Oh, for the days when newspapers never, ever, allowed advertising on the front page.  The front page, above and below the fold, was considered near-sacred in its journalistic purity, and no ads, no editorials, would be found on the face of any respectable newspaper.

To my dismay as a third-generation journalist, the Lewiston Tribune has been running bottom-of-the-page ads for awhile now.  I think that's a bad turn, but I don't expect the traditions, goals, and ethics of classic print journalism to begin with the Alford media empire anytime soon.  Still, I find it more than a little annoying when, for the third or fourth time this election season, I've had to peel off a Walter Steed campaign ad stickered onto my morning Trib.

I wasn't planning on voting for Steed anyway, and I realize he's just taking advantage of the Trib's policy, but it's a bad trend and one I hope dies off with this election.

By the way, Dale Courtney and I are BOTH not voting for Walter!  Both of us are opposed to the smoking ban!  Both of us think business owners can decide for themselves what legal behavior to permit or exclude on their properties!  This is exciting news -- I mean, both of my sons now have short, NSA-style hair, and with this sudden and apparent rapprochement, I can't wait to see Dale's car festooned with some sort of Biblical feminist bumper sticker.  It's truly exciting.

Kumbaya, Visionaires --

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com