[Vision2020] Palouse Gets Refresher in Free Speech

Kai Eiselein editor at lataheagle.com
Tue Mar 31 11:47:30 PDT 2009

By way of the Latah Eagle's sister paper, the Boomerang, which has been at odds with the mayor over this for quite some time over this.
Funny how Echanove will talk to the Trib, but not to the Boom...
Here is the full text of the letter from the AG's office, which we received March 24:

March 24, 2009

Mayor Michael Echanove
Palouse City Hall
East 120 Main Street
P.O. Box 248
Palouse, WA 99161-0248

RE: Restrictions on Public Comment Periods

Dear Mayor:

I am the Attorney General's Open Government Ombudsman and provide assistance
to the public and agencies for compliance with the state Public Records Act
and Open Public Meetings Act.  I received a letter from the Boomerang
questioning the City's policy prohibiting public comment on personnel issues
of city staff.  Any policy prohibiting comment on a specific topic would
have serious constitutional implications.  I would ask the city to consider
my informal advice in this letter.

The ability of citizens to voice their opinions about the performance of the
public employees and officials who serve the public is one of the
cornerstones of a free and accountable government.  Particular criticism of
government conduct may irritate the city, but such criticism is protected by
the 1st amendment of the U.S. Constitution, and by Article I, section 5 of
the Washington Constitution.  In the case of Mesa v. White, 197 F.3d 1041
(10th Cir. 1999) a county refused to allow public comment and criticism
about the city manager.  The court found that the restriction was
unreasonable, an attempt to silence opinions, and a pretext for censorship.

A municipality that deliberately allows a general public comment period
during its meetings creates a limited public forum for constitutionally
protected free speech.  The city may not restrict speech it merely dislikes,
but has some ability to limit public comment in a neutral manner.  The city
may set time limits or noise limits to public speech.

The Open Public Meetings Act allows the city to remove an individual if they
are being disruptive.  RCW 42.30.050.  A municipality may adopt a policy to
prohibit personal attacks such as insults if they lead to disruption of the
meeting.  Steinburg v. Chesterfield County Planning Com'n, 527 F.3d 377 (4th
Cir. 2008).  Yet even Steinberg acknowledges that criticism may not be
prohibited where the speech is directed on a substantive idea.  Personal
insults should not be confused with insulting criticism over the conduct of
public officials or employees.  Moreover, Steinberg does not allow the city
to prohibit public comment on a particular topic when the public comments
are neither personally insulting nor disruptive.

The U.S. Constitution reflects "a profound national commitment to the
principle that debate on public issues should be uninhibited, robust, and
wide-open, and that it may well include vehement, caustic, and sometimes
unpleasantly sharp attacks on government and public officials."  New York
Times Co. v. Sullivan, 376 U.S. 254, 270 (1964).  If the city allows a
general public comment period at its meetings but prohibits comment on
personnel issues, then the prohibition should be repealed.

Sincerely,

Tim Ford
Open Government Ombudsman
Assistant Attorney General for Government Accountability