[Vision2020] Palouse Gets Refresher in Free Speech

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Mar 31 10:36:19 PDT 2009

Courtesy of today's (March 31, 2009) Lewiston Tribune by way of the
Spokesman Review.

Palouse gets refresher in free speech
State warns mayor against limiting comments during public meetings in town
By David Johnson of the Lewiston Tribune

PALOUSE - After receiving some unsolicited advice from Washington state's
ombudsman on open government, Mayor Michael Echanove on Monday declared a
resumption of free speech at city council meetings.

"Someone can always come in and say the mayor is a bonehead," said
Echanove, who's been at the helm of this Whitman County town since
2001. "That doesn't bother me in the least."

But prior to receiving a letter last week from Tim Ford, assistant
Washington attorney general for government accountability, Echanove had
protected paid city employees from public criticism.

"Some years ago," the mayor explained, "a person took off on an employee
and was going at it. Afterwards, I was told that I should have clamped
down on that."

But Ford, who could not be reached for comment, wrote in his letter that
Echanove's ban has serious constitutional implications.

"The ability of citizens to voice their opinions about the performance of
the public employees and officials who serve the public is one of the
cornerstones of a free and accountable government," Ford wrote in the
letter. "Particular criticism of government conduct may irritate the city,
but such criticism is protected by the First Amendment of the U.S.
Constitution, and ... the Washington Constitution."

Echanove said he plans to ask members of the city's policy and
administration committee to review Ford's letter. But from his
perspective, Echanove said, he's ready to accept Ford's advice, while at
the same time asking citizens to maintain a level of civility in their
criticism of paid employees.

Ford wrote that his letter was in response to a letter he recently
received from the Boomerang newspaper, questioning the city's policy of
prohibiting public comment on issues regarding city staff.

"So I stand corrected," Echanove said. "People can now bring any topic up
in the open forum, including personnel."

Open forum, the mayor explained, was started a number of years ago as a
means for citizens to bring up issues that weren't, or should be, on the
council's agenda. "It's where anyone on the planet can come in and talk
about anything they want," Echanove said. "I'm the one that put that
there, just to have open communication."

Ford wrote any municipality that deliberately allows general public
comment during it's meetings has, in essence, created a public forum for
constitutionally protected free speech. "The city may not restrict speech
it merely dislikes," Ford wrote. But the city may limit comment in
a "neutral manner" by, for example, setting time limits.

People who become disruptive may be removed from the meeting under the
state's open public meetings act, Ford wrote. And cities may adopt a
policy that prohibits personal attacks such as insults, if they lead to
disruption. But personal insults, Ford wrote, are not the same as
insulting criticism. Moreover, case law prohibits cities from banning
public comment on a particular topic.

Federal case law also underscores, Ford wrote, that the U.S. Constitution
reflects a "profound national commitment" to the principle that debate on
public issues must be uninhibited, robust and wide open. Such debate may
also include "vehement, caustic, and sometimes unpleasantly sharp attacks"
on government and public officials, Ford wrote.

"If the city allows a general public comment period at its meetings but
prohibits comment on personnel issues," Ford wrote, "then the prohibition
should be repealed."

Echanove said he has taken the legal advice to heart and wants to keep the
open forum. "I like people to walk through the door and talk about
anything. So right now I'd say anything is fair game."

You know what this means, dontcha?

Item #3 on the Moscow City Council agenda . . . the item marked "Public
Commentary" . . . is (as it always has been) an open podium for the public
to air its grievances, whether that grievance is focused at a particular
councilman or the city in general . . . provided the grievance is
presented in a manner of civility . . . unlike the manner in which
Councilman (and candidate for mayor of Moscow) John Weber addressed
another council member a while back . . .

John Weber's idea of "civility"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVKtZJQZb9k

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Join us at The First Annual Intolerista Wingding, April 17th, featuring
Roy Zimmerman and Jeanne McHale.  For details go to . . .

http://www.MoscowCares.com/Wingding

Seeya
there.