[Vision2020] Legislative Report

Shirley Ringo ringoshirl at moscow.com
Fri Mar 20 16:18:38 PDT 2009

>From the Legislature

March 23, 2009

Representative Shirley Ringo

Greetings from the legislature.

After a rather slow start, the pace has been much faster this past week.   In the Joint Finance and Appropriations Committee (JFAC), we have worked on setting budgets for five days.   The process has been frustrating for me.  On February 13, before we had information about the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (stimulus funds), a motion was passed in JFAC directing agency personnel cost reductions of 5%.  In my opinion, the stimulus funds afford the opportunity to improve upon that effort.  So far, the majority of members of JFAC have refused to consider this.

JFAC members are scheduled to set the budgets for colleges and universities on Thursday, March 26.  The budget for K-12 public schools will probably be set in committee March 27, or March 30.

After the committee proposes a budget, it must be approved by the House and Senate.  Then it will go the Governor for his signature.

The Governor's most recent bill for raising the fuel tax has been considered in the House and rejected.

Briefly, this bill suggests an increase in fuel tax over three years.  The tax would increase by three cents per gallon the first year, and by two additional cents per gallon each of the following two years.  I supported this legislation.  Those of you who contacted me indicated support for using the fuel tax to obtain more money for maintenance of roads.

The governor also proposes raising registration on cars and pickups as follows:

      Age of Vehicle
     Current Fees
     Year 1
     Year 2
     Year 3

      1 - 2 years
     $48
     $72
     $78
     $84

      3 - 4 years
     $36
     $60
     $66
     $72

      5 - 6 years
     $36
     $48
     $54
     $60

      7 - 8 years
     $24
     $36
     $42
     $48

      Over 8 years
     $24
     $30
     $33
     $36

There are more details, regarding use of gaseous fuels, heavy trucks, etc., but this is the part that affects most of you.  Current plans call for consideration of this proposal sometime during the week of March 23 - 27.

As most of you know, Walter Steed and Senator Gary Schroeder worked together to propose legislation - Senate Bill 1002.  The purpose of the bill was to include areas outside of Idaho which are adjacent to a municipality in the definition of "service area."  The legislation was intended to facilitate a proposal for Moscow to provide water to a developer in the state of Washington.  After the bill passed unanimously in the Senate, the House Resources and Conservation Committee unanimously rejected it. Latah County residents who contacted me regarding this bill were opposed.  I have heard that Senator Schroeder and Mr. Steed are continuing to pursue the idea, but I have not seen the legislation.

Senate Bill 1112 calls for improved day care standards.  This legislation has been approved by the Senate.  Conservative House members have resisted such ideas in the past, but it is my hope that House members will act favorably this year.

I am always happy to hear from you regarding issues in which you have an interest.  I may be

reached at 208-301-2272, ringoshirl at moscow.com, or sringo at house.idaho.gov.

Sincerely,

Representative Shirley Ringo