[Vision2020] school funding

Jennifer Ingalls jennifer at inlandradio.com
Fri Mar 20 18:09:06 PDT 2009

Donovan and V-people,

I hope you realize my comments/examples have been tongue-in-cheek regarding
this issue and meant only to illustrate how ridiculous I think it is to pass
the onus of paying for all these educational expenses to the parents. I hope
that my children are well rounded and prepared for college or vocational
schooling after they leave the public school system. To me, that means they
will need to be engaged in more than just "the three 'Rs'." They will also
need music, language and sports or some other extra-curricular activities to
round them out. As it is with our present system, I realize I'll probably be
paying about $200 to $500 per child just to take care of soccer, flute,
Knowledge Bowl, etc. (even more if I want to have them learn language since
it's increasingly being cut from public schools). So can I afford to also
pay for their daily classes? Not on the salary I make or that my husband
makes . . . If the matter were as simple as whether I'm willing to pay $25
extra per month so my child can ride a bus when walking an extra block or
two is an option, you might sway me differently, but it's just not that
simple and I think you're deluding yourself if you think that it is.

Sincerely.

Jennifer L. Ingalls