[Vision2020] Rights, privileges and licenses

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 14:57:10 PDT 2009

I don't buy the driving is a privilege mantra.  If driving were a
privilege, then that would make it a special entitlement granted by
the government -- revocable at its whim -- and I don't give the
government that power.  The government exists for me, not the other
way around.

Now, for the public good, I cede the government the authority to
regulate driving (via licensing),but that doesn't mean that I have
ceded them my inalienable right to select my method of travel.

If the government revoked my license to drive, and there reason was
just, then I would humbly submit to the power that I had granted them.
 If they revoked it on a whim, I would have to consider my options
carefully, as I am not a martyr who would endure prison in protest.
However, what would happen if the government decided to revoke
everyone's  license to drive, and the reason was unjust?