[Vision2020] Public Smoking

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 06:11:24 PDT 2009

Kai,

You seem to be forgetting that there are social costs here, not just
individual costs. Where not just talking about one or two people that
are affected by a businesses smoke. Everything we do comes down to
individual choice. Why not apply this solution to other social problems?

Drug abuse? What's the problem. If people want to get stoned that is
there problem. We should legalize all drugs. What about the problem of
drug crazed drivers due to the increase of abuse? Well, if you drive
that's your choice. No one is forcing anyone to drive.

Asbestos removal? Why remove it? Just put up a sign that says
"Asbestos: enter at your own risk." That way if people do enter it
would be there own choice. They didn't have to enter the building. And
just dump it where ever you want. As long as you let people know, then
folks can choose whether they want to buy the land, or live in that
city.

Why regulate anything at all? All we really need to do is provide
information and let folks choose for themselves!

OK I'm joking here. But if the "solution" works here, why not in these
other cases? And I don't think it works in these other cases. Ergo.

Joe Campbell