[Vision2020] More Banning?

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Jun 18 08:03:39 PDT 2009

I believe that you may be mistaken, Bear.

The topic of banning smoking in public places was not suggested by our
city council.

This topic was submitted to the city council on May 18th by a private
citizen during the "Public Comments" section of the city council session.

http://www.moscowcares.com/051809_PubCom_SmokingBan.htm

> Well, it looks like our city council is up to more banning in the city as
> Moscow seeks to ban smoking in bars. What they should ban in bars is
> drinking!
>
>  In the Journal of  Public Economics, (Journal of Public Economics,Volume
> 92, Issues 5-6, June 2008), "Using geographic variation in local and
> state smoke-free bar laws in the US, we observe an increase in fatal
> accidents involving alcohol following bans on smoking in bars that is not
> observed in places without bans. Although an increased accident risk
> might seem surprising at first, two strands of literature on consumer
> behavior suggest potential explanations — smokers driving longer
> distances to a bordering jurisdiction that allows smoking in bars and
> smokers driving longer distances within their jurisdiction to bars that
> still allow smoking, perhaps through non-compliance or outdoor seating.
> We find evidence consistent with both explanations. The increased miles
> driven by drivers wishing to smoke and drink offsets any reduction in
> driving from smokers choosing to stay home following a ban, resulting in
> increased alcohol-related accidents. Nationwide in 2005, there were about
> 17,000 alcohol related fatalities.
>
> So if the "blue noses" on City Council want to ban smoking, and cut down
> on DUI's, they should ban drinking too!  But wait, that would cause all of
> the lost revenue due to DUI arrests. And if ANY political body is  serious
> about DUI, why not make the legal limit ZERO? Right now, you're allowed to
> drive a little bit drunk .08 but God forbid that you should have a
> cigarette!
>
> It all depends on who's ox is being gored.

>  List services made available by First Step Internet,

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown