[Vision2020] "Please do not continue to confuse people with facts."

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Jul 27 05:53:29 PDT 2009

Joe Campbell stated:

"I am unhappy with the details of this particular law -- the 20 foot rule
is just one example. That strikes me as unnecessary overkill. And it is
always a bad idea to pass a law that cannot be enforced."

True, Joe.  The smoking ban may be extremely difficult for local
authorities to enforce.

What I do foresee, though, is a bunch of citizen complaints being filed
with the Moscow Police Desk Sergeant ("Hey, Sergeant Jones, they're
smoking over at John's Alley again.") . . . not to mention a major
increase in unnecessary 911 calls ("Quick!  Get over to CJ's!  I just saw
two of them light up.").

This could expend local police resources that could be better utilized
pursuing real crimes.  By the time the local authorities issue the
ten-dollar citation to "Joe the Smoker", local authorities would have
already spent time and effort dwarfing the ten-dollar "revenue" the city
would realize . . . at a time when budgets are tightening.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown