[Vision2020] "Please do not continue to confuse people with facts."

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 05:13:24 PDT 2009

Keely,

My views on the mind-body problem are like my views on in-door smoking
in that I don't have any strong opinions either way. I am unhappy with
the details of this particular law -- the 20 foot rule is just one
example. That strikes me as unnecessary overkill. And it is always a
bad idea to pass a law that cannot be enforced.

As for mind-body issues, I'm a true skeptic believing that knowledge
one way or the other is not possible. Nor do I think that anything of
importance rides on it. You might think that the immaterial soul is
essential to your Christian beliefs but many would disagree. Aquinas,
Leibniz, and Kant, for instance, believed in bodily resurrection.
Aquinas and Kant were dualists (I think) but Leibniz was an idealist
believing that everything was made up of immaterial 'atoms' he called
monads. All point point to biblical support for bodily resurrection,
like the fact the main indicator that Jesus rose from the dead was
that his body was missing from the cave that it was placed in after
his death. Again I'm no expert on this matter (I hope I'm reporting
the view correctly) but one of my colleagues is working on this very
issue from a Kantian perspective. If you contact me offlist, I'd be
happy to send you his email address.

Following this lead, there are many contemporary Christian
philosophers who are materialists, such as Peter van Inwagen (Notre
Dame) and Hud Hudson (Western Washington), who are two of the most
brilliant and passionate Christians that I have met.

Frankfurt gave a talk at WSU a few years back and I had the honor of
introducing him.

Best, Joe

Sent from my iPhone