[Vision2020] An open letter to Moscow city council

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 14:37:44 PDT 2009

Actually, I have limited interest in the personal lives of Vision2020
participants.  I abhor ad hominem arguments.  I focus on discussion of
ideas, facts, logic.  Professional education or training is relevant to
expertise, of course.  But beyond that I don't care if someone is married or
not, woman or man, straight, gay or otherwise, is short, tall, slim or
overweight, is a teetotalling saint or a downs a fifth of Jack Daniels every
night, is a Olympic athlete or must use a wheelchair, and thus could not
serve in the military, as former president Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who
contacted a crippling disease at age 19, in 1921.  Regardless of a person's
opinion of the controversial presidency of Roosevelt, he was a profoundly
transformative leader who overcame personal tragedy.

When a certain e-mail address can be used by multiple persons, and
pranksters play games on the list with false identities, it's helps to
creates a climate of sincerity and honesty (I'm dreaming to expect the world
to function in this manner, I know), and lessen the chances for confusion
regarding who wrote what when responding, for Vision2020 participants to
sign their full names to their posts. I recall once that Tom Hansen felt
compelled to clarify that the "Hansen" I was referencing in one of my posts
was NASA's James Hansen, not Tom Hansen.

A number of Vision2020 participants have been played for fools on this list
by pranksters with false identities.  Of course, many on the Internet expect
participation on list serves to be based on fabricated personalities, so my
request for full legal names to be signed is probably viewed by many as old
fashioned; and who wants to bother with verifying names signed to Vision2020
posts match a person who can be identified?  I don't.

However, a certain "Glenn Schwaller," posting to Vision2020 at
vpschwaller at gmail.com , has been asked out to lunch, and their identity
questioned, on Vision2020, but not by yours truly.

Anyway, given this list serve is not moderated, some anarchy is inevitable.

Ted Moffett