[Vision2020] Costs for UI Email/Lawsuit

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 22 01:49:19 PST 2009

Chas,

You are only seeing a small part of the story. The departments are getting the money they are paying to ITS through AS fees. Over 1/2 of your student fees go to what is Matriculation fees. That money is split up amongst the departments to run operations, support staff, lighting, maintenance, and equipment, including computers. Each building, department, college, is billed differently, and managed differently. They also all pay an administrative tax, or fee, you will hear administrators moaning about this fee.

The departments don't earn most monies, they get it from somewhere. Those places are the State government, student fees, donations, grants, and private research.

What you are not seeing is the departments collecting the money from the student fees, which then go to pay the ITS. You are only seeing the transaction between ITS and the department.

If the UI didn't bill this way, each department would tap out all of ITS, maintenance, power, administrative, and other shared resources at UI.

If you don't understand, go talk to someone in Budget and Management about Matriculation Fees, and you will learn all about it. I had to in ASUI to know where our money was going and what it did if we didn't approve things.

Also take a look at computers in computer labs, on the bottom of the corner there is an ASUI sticker. Not all of them get it, but enough to where you know who is paying for them.

And in any case, all the computers run on a system paid for with student fees and powered by fees the students pay. Your department computer would just be a plastic box without AS fees, even if it has one without them.

Best Regards,

Donovan