[Vision2020] U of I Program Cuts

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Jan 13 12:36:15 PST 2009

Diversity extends far beyond simple acknowledgment of our differences, but
to understand and celebrate them.

As Bassey Ikpi profoundly reflects in . . .

"Homeward"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTcOWR3uc0E

Seeya round town, Moscow.

> Roger-
>
> I can't speak to development or the ombuds office, since I don't work in
> those areas.  But how many Human Rights Administrators do you think UI
has?>   Again this is a serious non-rhetorical question.

> As to diversity, we are obviously working from two entirely different
def> initions.  The definition you gave in your last email was the
condition of
> being different, which if you go to the dictionary you sited it is
actual> ly the condition of being diverse, while similar the two words have
separ> ate meanings. For me diversity is more than bringing different skin
colors
> to campus, more than increasing the number of women, more than sitting
> down at an international banquet to eat food from around the world.  It
is
> more than a business tactic or an educational model.  Diversity is
inherent>  in the world around us, I work in an office that puts numbers on
diversi> ty, so I know how difficult it can be to separate diversity from
the
desi> re to quantify and measure.  And it is hard to put into words how
much
larg> er the images of diversity are.

> I agree that we should all play from a level field and merit should be
the
> only deciding factor, but unfortunately our system, the USA not just
UI>  is not set-up that way.  While inequality still exists, there will be
pr> ograms to help those who need the help.  If you would like me to
explain
ho> w the UI system works I would be more than happy to, but I will wait
unti> l asked.

> -Mo
>
> > Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:31:52 -0800> From: lfalen at turbonet.com> To:
g> odshatter at yahoo.com> CC: hend5953 at vandals.uidaho.edu;
vision2020 at moscow.c> om> Subject: Re: [Vision2020] U of I Program Cuts> >
This has been done
bef> ore and probably should be done again.I don't think that will be
enough to
> solve the problem. There are administrators we could do with out. There
sho> uld be only one Human Rights Administrator, with and assistant and a
secr> etary. I don't know abut other colleges but the Agricultural College
has a
> development administrator. Why have the duplication. One should be
enough.
> The Ombudsman position should be eliminated. They only run interference
for>  the University and do not really help anyone. This should be handled
by
an> d outside impartial party. There are undoubtedly other administrators
that
> can be cut. I would not like to see programs cut unless very few are
intere> sted in them. There should be diversity in programs. Staff people
to do
the>  work are more important than high priced administrators. Preventative
Main> tenance is also important. Deferring things to later only makes
matters
wor> se.> Getting back to Mo and human diversity- Being familiar with
internatio> nal cuisine and culture enriches all of us. When by daughter
was at LCSC
sh> e belonged to the International Club. They had an anual dinner with
foods
f> rom around the world and international entertainment featuring the
various
> cultures. All of this was great. I particular liked the students from
Nepal> .. What I dont' care for is promoting diversity just for the sake of
Diversi> ty when it comes to employment or student enrollment. These area
should be
conditi> on. Merit is what should rule here.> Roger> -----Original message-
---->
Fro> m: Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009
13:22:10
-> 0800> To: lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com> Subject: Re: [Vision2020] U of I
Prog> ram Cuts> > > I'd like to see a furlough implemented, myself. I say
that
> knowing that > > I'm one of the people that would have to do a lot of the
w> ork with > > implementing it because I'm the programmer for the Payroll
sys> tem. Just > > close the University down one day a month for x number
months> , or let > > the employees individually choose which days to take
off
wit> hout pay. > > We'd have to have a lower salary limit under which
employees
> would not > > have to go on furlough, or make it voluntary. I'd rather
lo> se a few > > days of pay than have the specter of layoffs hanging over
my
h> ead, or > > something else just as drastic.> > > > Paul> > > > lfalen
wro> te:> > > Mo> > > I agree that most of the pay cuts should me with
administr> ators. Also it would take 3 or 4 staff people to equal what you
would save
> with letting one administrator go and I believe you could do without them
e> asier than most staff people.> > > I am not opposed to diversity. I
think
t> hat it is great, but I don't think that we need the whole west side of (
> I think the second flour) of the Commons devoted to diversity and human
rel> ations. It is fine to have diversity, but the emphasis should be on
merit> ..> > > Roger> > > -----Original message-----> > > From: Mo
Hendrickson
hend> 5953 at vandals.uidaho.edu> > > Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 14:28:24 -0800>

T> o: lfalen at turbonet.com, vision2020 at moscow.com> > > Subject: RE:
[Vision20> 20] U of I Program Cuts> > >> > > > > >> Roger- > > >> > > >> A
couple of
c> omments and questions regarding you program cuts.First, you write, "To
> help save some programs and jobs. everyone should take a 5 to 10% pay
cut.
> Less money is better than no money." I am glad to hear that you are in a
fi> nancial postion to take that kind of cut. There are many of us working
for
> the University that could not manage that cut. I currently work in an IH
po> sition and have not had any pay increase in the three years in that
positio> n. So sure ask the administration to take reductions, but the
folks down
> on the bottom of the pay chain can't handle that kind of reduction. > >

need> s that many people in development or diversity at this point." I am
guessin> g that your view on diverity is based on an older model of
diversity,
tha> t it is about skin color and gender. In my point of view, diversity is
mo> re than tracking how many people of color we have on campus, it is more
t> han the number of women we have in the classrooms, diversity includes
all>  of us, it is religion, it is gender, it is white men over 40, it
i> s women in their 20's, understanding diversity is key in creating an
envi> ronment in which students, staff, and faculty thrive. We should be
inve> sting in diversity not cutting it. That doesn't mean throwing money
at it
a> nd giving it lip service, but really assessing the incredible resources
w> e have on campus and finding ways to use them to bring in more students,
> to attract the best and brightest scholars. I don't want UI to become a
hom> ogenized unit, with everyone looking, thin!> > >> > > > king and> > >
a> cting the same, there is no life in that. > > > > > >> > > >> I would
als> o argue that this university if understaffed in terms of diversity
programm> ing not over staffed. We are currently have two key diversity
positions on
> campus that are vacant and those vacancy are being felt. So please tell
me
> why you think we need less people in diversity. > > >> > > >> -Mo
Hendricks> on> > >> A proud advocate for diversity> >
==========> =========================> ====================> List
services>  made available by First Step Internet, > serving the
communities of the
> Palouse since 1994. > http://www.fsr.net > mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com>
> =========================> =========================> =====> > >>> > >>

services
m> ade available by First Step Internet, > > > serving the communities of
th> e Palouse since 1994. > > > http://www.fsr.net > > >
mailto:Vision2020 at mosc> ow.com> > >

"For a lapsed Lutheran born-again Buddhist pan-Humanist Universalist
Unitarian Wiccan Agnostic like myself there's really no reason ever to go
to work."

- Roy Zimmerman