[Vision2020] U of I Program Cuts

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Jan 13 13:39:43 PST 2009

I remember an old saying that came out of the late 60s . . .

"Black is beautiful. Tan is grand.
But white is the color of the boss man."

My faith in the American people will be restored, at least a little, at
8:00 AM next Tuesday morning.

Barack the House, Moscow!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNle_402RY0

> A comment on Roger's last sentence:
>
> "What I dont' care for is promoting diversity just for the sake of
Diversity
> when it comes to employment or student enrollment. These area should be
> blind to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or any other condition.
> Merit is what should rule here."
> ****************************
> True, but doesn't happen even now.   Remember the old tag, "what we want
is
> the best man for the job," and "white" was simply an assumption that
didn't
> have to be stated.  Times are  better, sure, and maybe someday we won't
need
> those diversity offices and the legal protection, but we're not there
yet.

> I think white men don't necessarily understand this bias until it hits
some
> female in their own family.  Some years ago our daughter, who was
healthy,
> strong, a student at the U of I, and an EMT decided she would like to be
> firefighter in Moscow so she applied.  The firefighters took a vote,
turned
> her down and told her they weren't going to take women. and because they
> were a volunteer, unpaid organization they felt secure in their
blackballing
> of her petition.   Fortunately Dee Hager was mayor and the U of I had a
> contract with the city for fire potection.  My husband, who had been
> ignoring my ranting for a number of years, was furious.  He called the
> mayor, threatened a suit, and lo and behold they took another vote and
> reluctantly (and that was obvious) invited her to join.  Laurie
basically
> said, "screw you" and turned them down--much to their relief, I'm sure.
>
> There continues to be truth in the civil rights slogan:  "We ain't yet
where
> we ought to be, but, Thank God, we ain't still where we were."
>
> SueH

Administrator,
> > with and assistant and a secretary. I don't know abut other colleges
but
> > the Agricultural College has a development administrator. Why have the
> > duplication. One should be enough. The Ombudsman position should be
> > eliminated. They only run interference for the University and do not
> > really help anyone. This should be handled by and outside impartial
party.
> > There are undoubtedly other administrators  that can be cut. I would
not
> > like to see programs cut unless very few are interested in them. There
> > should be diversity in programs. Staff people to do the work are more
> > important than high priced administrators. Preventative Maintenance is
> > also important. Deferring things to later only makes matters worse.
> > Getting back to Mo and human diversity- Being familiar with
international
> > cuisine and culture enriches all of us. When by daughter was at LCSC
she
> > belonged to the International Club. They had an anual dinner with
foods
> > from around the world and international entertainment featuring the
> > various cultures. All of this was great. I particular liked the
students
> > from Nepal. What I dont' care for is promoting diversity just for the
sake
> > of Diversity when it comes to employment or student enrollment. These
area
> > should be blind to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or any
other
> > condition. Merit is what should rule here.
> > Roger

Just
> >> close the University down one day a month for x number months, or let
> >> the employees individually choose which days to take off without pay.
> >> We'd have to have a lower salary limit under which employees would not
> >> have to go on furlough, or make it voluntary.  I'd rather lose a few
> >> days of pay than have the specter of layoffs hanging over my head, or
> >> something else just as drastic.
> >>
> >> Paul

Also

"For a lapsed Lutheran born-again Buddhist pan-Humanist Universalist
Unitarian Wiccan Agnostic like myself there's really no reason ever to go
to work."

- Roy Zimmerman