[Vision2020] Pre-Session Legislative Update from Rep. Trail

ttrail at moscow.com ttrail at moscow.com
Sat Jan 10 12:55:25 PST 2009

	                    PreLegislative Newsletter - 2009 Session

Constituents:

The Idaho Legislature begins the first day of work on January 12th with
Governor Otter's State of the State address.  This is an economically
bleak time nation and statewide.  There will be no new programs requiring
new funding approved.

Unemployment figures in Idaho are hovering around the 6% mark and will
increase even further according to predictions.  Most experts predict
that the economic recovery period may well not occur until next year.

We do have about $400,000,000 in three rainy day funds/reserve funds.
Public education has about $114,000,000 in the public education reserve,
and this will be used to protect negative budget impacts on public
education.  The remaining reserves will be utilized, in part, to protect
other high priority programs; however, budgets for all agencies including
the current fiscal year and FY10 will suffer.  Holdbacks of 4% have
already been initiated and agency administrators have been told to
prepare budgets reflecting a 6% cut.  We may even approach a 10% holdback
if economic conditions worsen. University of Idaho administrators
indicate that if they have to exceed a 6% cut then we are looking at
eliminating faculty/staff.  This then leads to the elimination of
programs.   Protection of Higher Education programs is absolutely
essential for the University of Idaho and other institutions in the
state.  Investment in education has long term benefits.

The major battle may well be between the Governor and the Legislature
over the Governor's Transportation Proposal.  Essentially the Governor
would like to increase taxes to improve Idaho's transportation
infrastructure at a cost of $240 million.  The increase would be
primarily new taxes on fuel and increase registration fees.  The
Legislature in the main agrees with the Governor on improving our
transportation infrastructure, but not at this time of dire economic
stress on our citizens.  This could be the primary battle during this
next session.  One note of hope: if the Obama bailout plan for major
infrastructure program passes Congress, then Idaho could benefit from the
plan.   The Governor's office has a list of major highway projects that
are ready to start up within 60-120 days.  If the federal funding comes
through then this may take care of any major legislative battles.

One of my major concerns is ensuring that our State is able to fund the
safety net programs for our low income families.   There will be many
tough decisions to make and priorities to work out.

My address in Boise is Capitol Annex, 514 W. Jefferson St., Boise, ID.
83702. Please use my Boise e mail address--ttrail at house.idaho.gov.  My
phone number in the Chamber is 208-332-1260 and my office number is 208-
332-1184.

Please communicate your ideas, concerns, and recommendations.   I will
try and reply as soon as possible.

Rep. Tom Trail