[Vision2020] Say What?

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Jan 7 08:15:15 PST 2009

I agree, Paul.

Roland Burris may be totally selfless and absolutely above reproach.

However, I am guessing that even Mother Teresa or the pope would be
subject to the same scrutiny if appoointed by Governor Blagojevich.

The question, valid or not, that will long linger in the back of many
minds:  Did Roland Burris buy his way into the United States Senate?

I forget who (I think it was Jon Stewart on The Daily Show)) stated, words
to the effect:

Records reflect that 48% of all murderers are caught and punished.  Four
of the last eight Illinois governors have been incarcerated.  This simply
goes to support that you are more likely to end up in jail if you become
an Illinois governor than if you kill someone.

> As much as that comment frightens me, and as much as I can't stand
> Blagojevich, I think they are in the wrong to oppose Burris'
> appointment.  Blagojevich is still the sitting governor, and has the
> power to appoint the next Senator.  I doubt the law says anything about
> "unless the Governor is ethically challenged", or "unless everyone wants
> the Governor to be impeached".

Paul