[Vision2020] Say What?

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 10:04:08 PST 2009

Opposition to Burris in the US Senate (which would just be till 2010 when
the seat would be filled by election) is in part to avoid continuing
political damage to Democrats, given Burris's appointment by likely to be
impeached governor Blagojevich.  The Democrats could be tainted by the
Blagojevich scandal for years, with Burris in the senate as a reminded in
the news over and over... But the image of opposing Burris, who could become
the only African American in the senate currently, implies racism or the
appearance of racism to some, also a political problem.  Burris's competence
and integrity apparently are not the main issues.  But considering many in
politics, these issues are often not the primary focus of who assumes
office.  Caroline Kennedy may be appointed to Clinton's New York US Senate
vacancy, in part based on the clout of her family dynasty, while other more
qualified and/or experienced candidates are passed over.  And Al Franken I
doubt would have won in Minnesota if not for his fame as a comedian.

States can hold special elections to fill vacant US Senate seats, and some
think this is the best option to fill Obama's vacancy, given Blagojevich's
problems, or even in general as a democratic principle, though expensive and
time consuming.

Ted Moffett