[Vision2020] Rent Prices Was: Sen Schroeder

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 19 19:57:36 PST 2009

Here is what is on Craigslist.
Feb 18 - $950 / 4br - Older home 41/2BR 11/2BA - (Public Ave, Moscow) Feb 15 - $1395 / 4br - 5 Bath House, Pet/Horse OK - (Colfax)  pic Jan 29 - $1395 / 4br - 4 Bed, 5 Bath House, Dog/Cat/Horse OK - (Colfax)  pic Jan 21 - $850 / 5br - Large home for rent  - (Garfield)  pic Jan 20 - $1195 / 4br - 828 N. Grant - (Moscow)  pic
Average the house price for a 4 bedroom home: $1097

Add in WSG and electricity which most renters have to pay in homes and that is over $1200. Most the homes in Moscow are really old too, built before dirt was invented.

If you buy a house, the average mortgage in Moscow is almost $200,000, which means a monthly payment of $1200 or a month unless your have a high down and a 720+ FICO.

The apartments you have lived in Chas, were in all honestly, not that nice. I have seen them. Some smell like dog sh*t and cat piss even, and plenty of smokers around, I kid you not. I have been to almost every apartment complex in Moscow, and unless you are living in subsidized housing, you are paying at least $550 a month for a large one bedroom or two small bedroom one bath, or you are living in something small or nasty. Most of them are older apartments too, around for my parents or when my sister was a Frosh at UI.

In the Treasure Valley and Magic Valley, and most other cities in Idaho, you can rent a newer three or four bedroom 2 or three bath home for $850 and in some places $700 a month that has a two or three car garage and and about 1200-1600 Sq.ft. That is the common rate. Not a beat up 50 year old house on a gravel road next to a wheat field with a one legged dog that chases your pickup every time you drive down your driveway.

In addition, the average household income in Latah is below $26,000 a year, although it is slightly higher in the city. This is much lower than in other parts of the state. So you have higher housing costs, and lower income. Which is why so many people in Moscow are living below or just over the poverty level.

Best Regards,

Donovan