[Vision2020] Sen Schroeder

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 19 19:25:00 PST 2009

Andy and Paul,

I don't think there is enough big chain stores to keep PEM full. I think you have to have a mix of small, medium, and large businesses that cater to different groups of people with different interests. If you allow only large chain stores, nobody wants to go in there because it lacks diversity.

But I do agree, the timing is really bad to build a new mall, the economy is shrinking. And I think there would be no demand for a Hawkins Mall if PEM did a competent job of managing their building and treating their tenants like prized customers, not delinquents hurting their profits.

Lefty's is only one store kicked out. The recruiters, Hunters, Market Place, and about 1/2 dozen more if my memory serves me right.

I think someone will eventually buy the PEM, and if the Hawkins Mall is around, it would face stiff competition unless both mall owners decided to focus on different customer bases. I think it is a good idea to keep as big of a percentage of the retail industry on Moscow's side of the corridor as possible. The more stores and businesses we have over here on our side, the more reasons Pullman shoppers will have to come over here. For one item they may not, for three or four they most likely will take the time to visit and do all their shopping.

Moscow should not lose the retail battle to Pullman. We have every advantage. I hate to see some Moscow residents pushing away customers, economic growth, and jobs. But I know it is good at it, even when they are just handed to us.

Best Regards,

Donovan